Originally formed in the early 1900s through local resident Dan Davenport, the history of Cumbernauld United FC was to be shaped considerably by the outbreak of war. In 1914, United lost a number of players to the war effort, and it took until a year after the first World War had ended before organised football returned to the town.

The club disbanded again in 1923 due to financial difficulties and didn’t reform until 1929, this time as Cumbernauld Thistle. Ten years later, as war broke out a second time, Cumbernauld closed their doors. It was to be 25 years before plans to resurrect football in Cumbernauld were hatched.

August 1964

Alex Walker places an advert in ‘The Cumbernauld News’ to test the reaction to rebuilding the football club. The response is positive, and a working party of three is set up, with Walker as Secretary, Bob Wood as Chairman and John Baillie as Treasurer. The decision is taken to resurrect the name of the town’s first team Cumbernauld United.

February 1966

The local District Council finally agrees that work should begin to build Cumbernauld a home at Ravenswood.

January 1967

United being to search for players, and 40 hopeful players are selected to try out. The first three signed are Jackie McKenna, Ian McEwan and Tom Wilson, all from Johnstone Burgh.

July 1967

Cumbernauld United FC formally admitted to the West of Scotland Junior League (Second Division), temporarily playing their home games at St Patrick’s Sportsground, Kilsyth, until Ravenswood is ready. The first game is away to Dunipace at Carronbank, with United running out 6-2 winners.

August 1967

Kenny Dalglish farmed out to Cumbernauld United.

May 1968

European Cup winners Celtic, led by Jock Stein, play United to mark the opening of Ravenswood.

February 1971

Cumbernauld is offered Celtic Park for their Scottish Cup Fifth Round replay against Rob Roy, the first game having finished 1-1. United win the replay 4-2 in front of 10,000 fans.

May 1971

Cumbernauld wins the Central League Division ‘A’ following a 3-2 win over nearby neighbours Kilsyth Rangers. One of the goals was scored by United goalkeeper Davie Moffat, whose kick from his own box beat everybody before bouncing into the net! The result meant United had won the title with five games still to play.

April 1974

Manchester United travel to Cumbernauld to open United’s new ground at Guy’s Meadow.

June 1978

Cumbernauld United win The Evening Times Cup, as champions of Division ‘B’, then beating ‘C’ champions Maryhill and ‘A’ champions Lesmahagow.

May 1984

United are promoted after winning the Central League Division ‘C’ thanks to a 3-0 win over Greenock. Meechan, Sutherland and Hendren scored for Cumbernauld to take them back to Division ‘B’.

June 1994

Cumbernauld holds off challenges from Port Glasgow and Blantyre Vics to win the Central League Second Division, and are promoted back to the First Division.

May 1998

Businessmen George Watson and Ronnie Hunter agree to take as Joint Chief Executives of Cumbernauld United.

May 2010

Manager John Queen leads United to the Central Division First Championship. A United win at Maryhill, combined with Shotts only managing to draw with Glasgow Perthshire sees Cumbernauld take the top spot.

George Watson becomes sole owner of Cumbernauld United as co-Chief Executive Ronnie Hunter retires.